VANTAGE:INHOUSE PRODUCTIONS
Home to the most thought-provoking and engaging properties to come out of the small press.
READ MORE

Looking back...

Posted On Monday, October 31, 2011

I pride myself on how far I'm willing to reach for success. This month I celebrated completing my first year of full-time self-publishing. It's a been a fun, bumpy, uncertain and exhilarating ride that I'm so much MORE than grateful that I've had the opportunity to take! And I'm even more excited to say that the ride ISN'T OVER! As I plow headlong into YEAR TWO, I want to get things rolling strong and in order to do that, I've gotta take a solid look at what I've done (or haven't done) throughout this past year. So let's take a look...

I certainly aimed my ambition high this year when I decided that I was going to attempt to publish FIFTEEN different projects this year. Mind you, I gave myself the backdoor that they didn't have to all be finished, but at least, to some degree, released to the public. Of the 15 titles I had in mind, only about 7 got any work done on them and of that 7, only about 4 were put before the public eye. While I'm certainly not proud of not hitting my goal, quite a few of my peers have assured me that getting THAT MUCH work out in a calendar year (well, technically, I didn't give myself a full year...) is still rather impressive.

Being honest, I really have myself to blame for dropping the ball, artistically. I had a plan to draw a few of the projects and I TOTALLY punked out! That's DEFINITELY a hangup that I'm looking to get over in this new year. I've been timid in my art skills, but that's a foolhardy excuse -- I know there's no better way to get over that than to do more work, but I took EVERY convenient measure to not have to. I know...shame on me.

There were a few bouts of poor time management mixed in there -- I had NO IDEA how time consuming the summer reading club was going to be. Don't get me wrong, it was a LOAD of fun and the U Cre-8 line was VERY WELL RECIEVED, but it took about 3-4hrs each time with travel, prep and the actual presentation. If I operated with a general 8-9hr work day, that was a third to half of it each time. Way too much time away from the creating table.

I did manage to hit 12 conventions this year, which I can say is an ALL-TIME record for me. It's helped tremendously at building the brand of V:IP, gaining visibility in a lot of places outside of my usual haunts. What's shocked me the most is how conventions have responded to the U Cre-8 line, making it a feature of their kid's oriented events. I owe alot to my extended appearances to it and can't wait to develop that even further. Along with that is getting A LOT of mileage out of my 8 Bit designs. Those things have been my most popular feature and I'm proud of my ability to recognize and capitalize on them, with a bunch of products ranging from prints, trading cards, buttons, stickers and posters. Even the 8 Bit challenge is gaining some notoriety, a big crowd getter when its displayed!

What I've started to do is integrate more information about the comics side of V:IP. With the 8 Bits standing on their own rather well, I want to see how well I can pull in the other things and get more face time as a publisher. I think I've got some great ideas to get it done and most will be implemented throughout 2012.

So overall, I'd give V:IP a C+/B- grade for its first year. There were definitely some things that I could've done better and I'm adamantly looking for ways to accomplish that! Stick around and see how I do next year!

1 comment

  1. Not a bad score by any means for your first year out. Approaching year one with a plan and schedule is an achievement to be commended for. We honestly "winged it," for the first 2 years.

    Your approach to this year was more of a inspiration to MC. While you obviously evolved your con approach throughout the year, I was inspired to continue growing and diversifying the MC product. For that I thank you.

    I think there may be more pressure on to be succsessful in your 2nd year. You have shown that you can not only "keep afloat" while doing this full time, you showed major progress. What can you take from year one to grow even more in year two? What can you accomplish with what you've learned to do and not to do?

    I still see you looking to find the best approach for your 8Bit flare. It is without question a fan favorite and attention grabber. I feel like you are missing that one element to take it to the next level. I'm not exactly sure what that is, but you seem to have plenty of ideas que'd up.

    Although you mentioned it, I really would like to see you bridge the gap between the 8Bits and the Publishing side of VIP. You seemed to move away from that after C2E2. I felt the debut of The Samaritan went very well. I'd like to see more of that.

    I also think that there is an aspect of your work that you have not truly used to your advantage. At C2E2 I noticed a trumendous amount of support for you, as an African American creator. Knowing you for 20+ years, I can see how this is something that you may steer away from. My question is there anyway you can tie your dedication and drive to be more than a "statistic" into your educational portfolio? Not so much to combine this with the U-CR8 Comics line, but to use those connections to reach out? Just some food for thought.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
/

Get In Touch

vantageinhouse@gmail.com

Contact Form

Name

Email

Message

© Infinity. All Rights Reserved