VANTAGE:INHOUSE PRODUCTIONS
Home to the most thought-provoking and engaging properties to come out of the small press.
READ MORE

First Days on the Job

Posted On Wednesday, October 28, 2009

So my first effort in fulfilling this challenge was initiated this past weekend. As I've detailed before, I host a mini-con at the local theatre, The Arena Grand, appropriately dubbed -- Arena Con -- and I decided that I would use the venue to kick start things. The plan was simple: I would do sketches, as usual, selling each for only a $1, with the intent of reaching a sales goal of only $50.00. I would tell anyone and everyone within earshot of why I was doing this, if only to garner a little more attention to the project as a whole and possibly get some people interested in the final product later.

While the total con usually runs about twelve hours over 2 days, I significantly cut down on my appearance time, which I'll admit did hurt my intake a bit. But still, being there only about five hours, I still was able to earn $26, selling, maybe 10 sketches (I had a few people who were pleased enough by the challenge itself that they deemed it worthy of support).

Now, it might seem like I failed a bit, with not hitting my intended goal of $50, but I must protest -- I have FAR from failed! If I were to "cash out" with my $26 I would be able to print 8-9 books through Ka-Blam depending on the size and page count. For this challenge, I'm going for an anthology style pulp comic/magazine, standard size with full color cover and interiors. The total count will run about 28-32 pages and keeping the Ka-blam ad on the back cover, it comes with a maximum expense of $25.46 (before shipping). While its my intention to make the books I print my "in store" copies, if I were to sell this set at a $4 ea (which is reasonable for small press books, depending on content) I'd net $36 total profit! Again, doesn't seem like much, but few of us are turning over a profit so quickly (and remember, it IS profit because I didn't invest any of MY money to fund this!)

Maybe I'm being greedy, but I totally want to hit my $50 fundraising mark, so I'll probably devote a few more hours at the theatre -- but already things are showing promise! It really is THAT easy! Check back soon and keep cre-8ing!

No comments

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
/

Get In Touch

vantageinhouse@gmail.com

Contact Form

Name

Email

Message

© Infinity. All Rights Reserved